Set Up A Mobile Hotspot With A Third
Any recent smartphone should come with hotspot capabilities built-in, but this wasnt the norm in the past. Those of you using older smartphones might not have a tethering/hotspot option at your disposal, in which case you might depend on using a third-party app. Two of our favorite options are PdaNet+ and Portable Wi-Fi hotspot.
The Best Hotspot Signal Booster For Vehicles
- Up to +50 dB of gain – the max allowed for a mobile signal booster in North America
- Highest uplink output of any vehicle booster
- Works for all phones and all carriers, including hotspots
- Sleek, metallic exterior designed to displace excess heat for peak performance
- Better talk, text, and data speeds guaranteed
- FREE shipping, no minimum purchase.
- 90 Day money back guarantee.
- Lifetime support.
What Is A Phone Wi
At its essence, a hotspot is a blend of software, hardware and back-end network data services that combine to transform a phone into the equivalent of a broadband modem and router. In other words, it can distribute a web connection to nearby systems via Wi-Fi. This not only lets me get my laptop and tablet online, but I can share it with co-workers, as long as theyre in range and they know the password.
Some phones also allow tethering via Bluetooth and USB cables, but these techniques are less popular.
Also Check: Does Spectrum Offer Wifi Extenders
How Do I Set Up Mobile Hotspot On My Phone
To set up a mobile hotspot with your phone, heed these steps: Turn off the Wi-Fi radio. Plug the phone into a power source. Open the Settings app. Touch the More item in the Wireless & Networks section, and then choose Tethering & Portable Hotspot. Touch the box to place a check mark by the Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot or Mobile Hotspot item.
How Does It Work
To use a phone as a hotspot, the device treats its online connection to the data network as if it were a broadband data source. It then transmits this data locally like a mini-Wi-Fi router using the 802.11ac or 802.11ax protocol with the newest handsets. The net result is that those Wi-Fi devices that are within range can tap into the data signal as if it were a regular old Wi-Fi network because it is.
A phone hotspot uses a cellular network to connect to the internet, and typically shares that connection via Wi-Fi.
Read Also: Does Spectrum Offer Wifi Extenders
How To Get Wi
Most new phone owners quickly learn that Wi-Fi is preferable when it comes to conserving your data, but did you know that you can access the internet via Wi-Fi practically anywhere you go? In fact, we may be approaching a future in which universal Wi-Fi connects all mobile device users from around the world.
In the meantime, how can you get Wi-Fi access on the go? This guide will provide information on the various ways and tools you can use to access the internet, no matter where your travels take you.
How Fast Will It Be
If youre fortunate enough to have a strong 4G signal in the home, you may not notice a difference at all between using your phones connection and your regular broadband. This is especially the case with activities such as sending emails, browsing the internet, and other less intensive tasks.
If theres a sweet spot in your home where the signal is strongest, try placing the phone there. Since your phone is acting as a wi-fi hotspot theres no need for it to be right next to the laptop or computer you want to connect to, though being too far away, or on the other side of obstacles, such as electronic equipment, glass, solid walls or floors, could result in a slower or inconsistent connection.
Recommended Reading: How To Connect Roku Tv To Wifi Without Remote Iphone
Setting Up A Wireless Hotspot On Apple Iphone
This will vary slightly depending on what version of iOS youre using.
- Open the Settings app and choose Mobile Data or Mobile.
- Select Personal Hotspot from this menu.
- Tap the toggle to turn Personal Hotspot on.
- You should now see instructions on how to connect – note the wi-fi name in the ‘To Connect Using Wi-Fi’ section, and the password above it.
- Note: you may be asked if you want to turn on Bluetooth to connect – you can choose to connect over wi-fi and USB only unless you specifically want to use a Bluetooth connection between devices.
Let Your Family Join Automatically
You can set up Family Sharing so that your family can join your Personal Hotspot automaticallywithout needing to enter the password. Here’s what to do:
Also Check: Does Netgear Extender Work With Spectrum
Why A Hotspot Instead Of Home Internet
Price is an important factor for most people looking for an internet provider. If you are looking to save money, you should first decide how you are going to use the data from the plan you pick. If, for example, you are only looking to surf the web, check your social media, and send some emails, you can get by with a limited data plan which will save you money with most providers. But, if you are like most folks today who look to the internet for streaming entertainment, home-based business networking, or managing smart-home technology, then you want a plan with no hard data caps and a reasonable soft cap that wont lead to high overage fees or data throttling by your provider.
In 2018, the FCC reported that 94% of U.S. residents have access to 2 or more providers with a minimum 25Mbps download and 3Mbps upload capability. According to a 2017 USA Today article, this competition has helped control pricing, but even in areas with the most competition, robust internet speeds can still average $100 or more per month, and most require a 1-2-year commitment and have hidden restrictions on usage. Add the hidden fees like service, installation, multiple layers of taxes, user fees, and a high-speed internet connection from cable, DSL, or even satellite can be a hard pill to swallow.
Is My Mobile Hotspot Secure
However, if you are concerned you can configure the mobile hotspot from the hotspot page. This allows you to change the default network name, choose to hide your device and the password.
Regardless, you should always remember to switch off the mobile hotspot when you are not using it – this is not a setting that’s recommended to leave on all the time. Not only will it drain battery, but it also increases the chance of someone else piggybacking your network and using up precious data.
You’ll need a decent-sized 4G data package to make the most of mobile hotspots. Fortunately, these are far cheaper than they used to be. Read our round up of thebest mobile networksto help you choose the best provider.
Also Check: How To Connect Canon Mx492 Printer To Wifi
Visit Popular Wifi Hotspot Locations
There are certain places where youre almost guaranteed to find a free WiFi hotspot. If youve ever wondered how to get free WiFi at home, then you should consider moving right next to one of the places listed below:
- Libraries The purpose of libraries is to further the education of the local community, and providing free access to the internet is just one way how libraries accomplish their goal. Besides public libraries, your local bookstore is also a good place where to look for a free WiFi hotspot.
- Public plazas In recent years, cities around the world have started to cover public plazas with free WiFi hotspots to attract more foot traffic to local stores. With hundreds and potentially thousands of people connected at the same time, you shouldnt expect the WiFi hotspot in the historical center of your city to rival the fiber optic connection you have at home, but even a slow internet connection is better than no connection at all.
- McDonalds/Starbucks McDonald’s, Starbucks, Ben & Jerry’s, and other popular fast-food chains, ice cream parlors, and restaurants have long discovered the revenue-generating power of free WiFi hotspots. Yes, you might have to order a cheeseburger or a latte to connect, but thats a smalland tastyprice to pay for fast internet access.
Find A Nearby Telus Wi
You can also download the TELUS Wi-Fi Finder app or My TELUS app for your Apple or Android device:
What wireless network name should I look for?
Why am I not getting a login screen on my browser?
This could be caused by many different reasons. You can try re-open your Internet browser and navigate to http://www.example.com or clear the browser cache.
Why canât I access the 10 minutes of Wi-Fi provided by TELUS to access the confirmation email?
Try opening a new tab on your browser and navigate to http://www.example.com or clear the browser cache.
Why is the confirmation email giving me an error when I click on the Activation link?
There may be a few reasons this is happening:
Can I use my Smartphone as a hotspot for my computer to access the confirmation email?
No, because you are using two different Wi-Fi networks â #TELUS to start the registration process, and your hotspot to finish it, which will result in an error.
When trying to connect my laptop, can I activate the confirmation email using my Smartphone?
Yes, you can.
You May Like: Can You Have Two Wireless Routers
How Do You Turn On Your Phones Hotspot
Turning on a phones hotspot is very easy. Heres a quick breakdown for iOS and Android phones:
Apple iOS phones and tablets:
Step 1: Go to Settings > Personal Hotspot. Or, depending on which model you have, go to Settings > Cellular > Personal Hotspot.
Step 2: Tap to toggle on Personal Hotspot.
Step 3: Switch on Allow Others to Join.
Android phones and tablets:
Step 1: Go to Settings and search for hotspot or tethering. Depending on the phone you have, it will be located in a menu titled Mobile Hotspot and Tethering, or Network and Internet.
Step 2: Tap to switch on the hotspot.
Step 3: On some phones, youll also need to switch on Wi-Fi sharing, which will allow the hotspot to be reached by other devices.
Once youve switched on your phones hotspot, go to the Wi-Fi menu on the device you want to connect to the internet. Look up the name of your hotspot and type in the password to connect to the internet.
In the same menu where you switch on the hotspot, you can also configure the password, network name, and other settings. And of course, make sure youve turned on your cellular datathe source of your Wi-Fi juice.
Specific hotspot instructions vary based on the phone you have. You can get more detailed instructions in our guide to phone hotspots.
Ways To Get A Portable Wifi Hotspot Without Using Regular Wifi Router
A portable wifi hotspot is something which doesnt need you to take a wifi router along. Wifi routers are something quite different as compared to the portable wifi hotspots. You can get a portable wifi hotspot in many ways, using these portable wifi hotspot, you will be able to surf internet. A portable wifi hotspot can even help you to connect many devices to internet using only one device which has already been connected to the internet. Thus, portable wifi hotspot is a source of complete productivity and time saving ability.
This article aims to help you out in getting a portable wifi hotspot anywhere, so that you may not fall low on options when it may come about internet and your important tasks related to it.
Recommended Reading: Does Dunkin Donuts Have Free Wifi
What Companies Offer Portable Wifi Hotspots
There are a wide variety of companies that offer portable WiFi hotspots. Heres a closer look at what each offers and how much it costs.
Verizon: Verizon has several portable WiFi hotspot devices you can purchase on their website. Once you choose your device, you have a wide variety of plan options ranging from the 1 GB for $15/mo. to the unlimited data plan, which will cost you $80/mo.
Skyroam: If you choose a Skyroam device, they have multiple plans such as pay-as-you-go, where youll pay $3 per each 1 GB you want to use. You can also have 24 hours of unlimited WiFi for $9 a day.
AT& T: You have your choice between several different options with AT& T, including a portable device and one that connects to the USB drive of your computer. On the plan front, they offer a 10 GB plan for $50/mo. and a 15 GB plan for $70/mo. AT& T also charges $10 for every 15 GB you go over your plans.
T-Mobile: Similar to other providers, T-Mobile sells portable WiFi devices. In addition, its plans offer a good range of choices from 2 GB for $10/mo. to 22 GB for $85/mo. Once you reach your monthly allotment, T-Mobile will slow your connection speeds to 2G.
Sprint:Along with devices, Sprint has several different plans available. The 2 GB plan will run you $10/mo., while the unlimited plan is $25/mo., providing an exceptional value when compared to other providers.
Things To Keep In Mind When Using A Mobile Hotspot
While its easy to set up a personal hotspot, there are a few important things to know.
- Know which devices access your hotspot. Make sure you enable a password so you can control whos using the hotspot.
- Understand the terms of your data plan. A hotspot can consume large amounts of data quickly, especially if multiple devices are connected. Some plans may restrict how much data you can use for hotspots. Monitor your data usage to avoid unpleasant billing surprises.
- Ensure you have a cellular signal. If youre in a remote area or one with weak coverage, your hotspot wont work as well. You may need a hotspot booster to amplify your signal and increase your data speeds.
- Plug in your phone. Your phone is working hard when youve enable a hotspot, so make sure your battery is charged.
- Disconnect the hotspot when youre finished. Always make sure you turn off the hotspot when its no longer needed to save on data charges.