Use Your Phone As A Hotspot
Most of todays mobile devices offer a hotspot feature, which may also be called tethering.
Whats a hotspot?
Basically, it turns your mobile device into an internet-giving device. It acts like a router, giving internet signal by using your mobile data.
You can turn on the hotspot feature and then connect other devices to it that are within range using the instructions on your mobile device.
Now, this isnt a great idea if you dont have a lot of mobile data every month because every time you use your hotspot, youll also use data.
However, unlimited data can be relatively affordable now with most mobile providers, so you might want to check into it. It could end up less expensive than paying for internet separately.
As long as you dont have to worry about going over a data limit and running into overage charges, this can be a great way to connect for no extra cost at home.
Connect To The Internet Using Mobile Hotspot
You can use the data services of your SIM to enable WiFi for other devices in your home. Courtesy of the hotspot, modern smartphones include a mobile tethering feature. In this way, a smartphone becomes a hotspot to send free Internet signals to other devices within the range.
You can follow these steps to enable mobile device tethering on Android smartphone:
- Go to the Settings of your smartphone.
- Tap the More button under the Wireless and Network Section.
- Enter the Network SSID and password.
- Save the settings and turn on a portable Wi-Fi hotspot.
For iOS smartphone, follow these steps:
- Go to Settings and tap Cellular.
- Select personal Hotspot and turn on the slider.
- Select the WiFi password option to password-protect it.
On the downside, youll end up consuming a lot of your mobile data. If you have a data cap on your daily utilization, you may not be able to connect simultaneous devices to your mobile hotspot.
Consequently, you may have to subscribe for unlimited mobile data. Lucky for you, you can opt for different affordable data plans available on a daily, weekly, or monthly basis. To keep a check on the daily data consumption, you can use the metered connection on Windows 10 computer.
A useful tip is to keep your mobile hotspot password-protected so that the surrounding people dont consume the data without your consent.
How To Get Wifi Without An Internet Provider
Without leeching off of your neighbors
Youve moved into a new place and someone accidentally dug up your fiber connection or you just dont have the budget for a broadband home internet connection right now, so how do you get connected to the Internet? There are many reasons you might not have WiFi internet access when you need it.
Is there a way to get WiFi without an internet provider? Actually, weve got six things you can try.
If you prefer to quickly watch a video instead of reading through the article below, make sure to check out our YouTube video where we go through the different ways you can get WiFi Internet without an ISP.
Don’t Miss: Google Wifi Number
How To Setup Wifi Without A Computer
Isnt it funny that just one decade ago if you told someone you didnt own a computer, people thought something was wrong with you? Nowadays, cell phones are replacing the need for a PC within the home. Advancing technology has allowed smartphones to do almost everything our computers can do right in the palm of our hands.
The use of cellular technology in fact is so advanced that if your carrier offers a 3G or 4G plan, you dont even need WiFi. You could set up your cellular device as a wireless hotspot and tether the device to provide connectivity to all your household devices. However, using your mobile device could be expensive depending on the data plan you pay for.
Take note that having a computer can make it much easier for setting up WiFi on a wireless router. Although, if you dont have a PC, there is still good news. You actually dont need a laptop or computer to provide your entire household with WiFi. All you need is a smartphone or tablet to set up your WiFi router to enjoy internet access.
Visit Popular Wifi Hotspot Locations
There are certain places where youre almost guaranteed to find a free WiFi hotspot. If youve ever wondered how to get free WiFi at home, then you should consider moving right next to one of the places listed below:
- Libraries The purpose of libraries is to further the education of the local community, and providing free access to the internet is just one way how libraries accomplish their goal. Besides public libraries, your local bookstore is also a good place where to look for a free WiFi hotspot.
- Public plazas In recent years, cities around the world have started to cover public plazas with free WiFi hotspots to attract more foot traffic to local stores. With hundreds and potentially thousands of people connected at the same time, you shouldnt expect the WiFi hotspot in the historical center of your city to rival the fiber optic connection you have at home, but even a slow internet connection is better than no connection at all.
- McDonalds/Starbucks McDonald’s, Starbucks, Ben & Jerry’s, and other popular fast-food chains, ice cream parlors, and restaurants have long discovered the revenue-generating power of free WiFi hotspots. Yes, you might have to order a cheeseburger or a latte to connect, but thats a smalland tastyprice to pay for fast internet access.
Recommended Reading: Finding My Wifi Password Mac
What Is Your Data Plan
From what Ive seen data usage or data caps shouldnt be a problem. Thats because most ISPs Ive found dont offer a 100% wireless solution other than Clear. And their plans have unlimited data plans.
That said, I cant speak for every ISP. There are several that I may not be aware of. So if you go with a wireless solution similar to Clear, just be sure to read the fine print to see if there is a data cap, what it is and the costs for exceeding that limit.
Wow Home Internet Without Cable
This wireless internet service provider offers its services in a number of states such as Georgia, Illinois, Florida, Alabama, Michigan, South Carolina, Tennessee, and so forth. The good news is that there are many internet service plans to choose from. However, the plan that you will choose will depend on your locality. For instance, users living in Illinois can expect to find the following plans:
- Internet 200: The plan mentioned above offers internet speeds of up to 200 Mbps. If you choose to go for this plan, you should be ready to pay $44.99 every month. Generally, this plan is ideal for households that have 1 to 3 users.
- Internet 500: If you choose this plan, you can be sure that you will enjoy internet speeds of up to 500 Mbps. However, users have to pay $54.99 on a monthly basis. If you are a gamer or a person who likes streaming HD videos online, this plan is the best option for you.
- Internet 1000: Just like its name suggests, users here will be able to enjoy internet speeds of up to 1000 Mbps. However, you have to pay $74.99 on a monthly basis. Its upload speed is 50 Mbps. If you like sharing large files or playing VR games, this plan is the ultimate solution for you.
You May Like: How Do I Change My Optimum Wifi Password
Getting Free Access To The Internet Using Wifi Free Spot
WiFi Free Spots help you identify local enterprises operating in your residential area, which offer free Internet services. You can search online by clicking your residential location to find such open WiFi locations around you.
Your local library or home-based library in your vicinity is the best example of a WiFi-free spot. However, you should be a member of the library to access free Internet.
Anywhere: What About Free Cellular Access
Did you know that you can get free cellular internet anywhere in the USA? Some cellular providers offer basic plans with some free data every month. You can use it on a smartphone or even get a Wi-Fi hotspot. Theyre betting that they can get money from you somehow after youre a customer.
For example, FreedomPop offers 200 MB of data free every month. Thats not much at allbut it is free. You will have to buy a FreedomPop SIM card for your phone, tablet, or Wi-Fi hotspot to get started.
Look, lets be honest: 200 MB isnt much data at all, and a company like FreedomPop probably wont have the best customer service. TIME Magazine wrote about its shady business practices back in 2013, and were not sure how much has changed. We havent tried it ourselves and cant endorse it. But free is free, and it exists.
The FCC also offers a Lifeline assistance program that provides subsidized cellular service to low-income households. If you qualify, you may be able to get discounted or even free cellular data through the Lifeline program. For example, Virgin Mobiles Assurance Wireless advertises a phone plan with free monthly data through Lifeline.
Recommended Reading: How To Reset A Blink Sync Module
Disadvantages Of Using Wi
The advantages of using Wi-Fi outweigh the disadvantages, but there are some disadvantages.
- Range: A Wi-Fi signal reaches a limited range, which may not cover your entire home or office.
- Security: Because wireless signals travel through the air, they can be intercepted. Using encryption technology minimizes the danger.
- Disruption: Large metal objects, such as a refrigerator, can block a Wi-Fi signal in your home. A microwave oven can disrupt the signal.
Can I Get Internet Without Cable
Internet and TV bundles are a convenient way to sign up for multiple home services with the same provider, and may even save you some money in the process, but cable TV is often not required in order to get home internet service.
On the other hand, some providers, including Mediacom and Optimum, may require you to sign up for internet service in order to get cable. So can you get internet without cable? Yes, but it may not always be possible to get cable without internet.
Recommended Reading: Recovering Wifi Password Mac
Connect At Common Establishments
As an SEO consultant, Daniel Foley has had to hunt down his own free Wi-Fi a time or two. He says that while using your device as a hot spot is usually convenient, you can also look for open hot spots to connect to if you want a truly free experience.
Many hotels, coffee shops, and gas stations will let you use their Wi-Fi networks without having to pay for data, he explains. These locations will often give access to paying customers for free, although they may try to charge you if you arent already using their services.
How To Get Wi
Wireless internet connectivity, known as Wi-Fi, is an amazing innovation. Without Wi-Fi, your home internet connection is confined to devices that can connect to your modem with a LAN cable.
Youre also limited by the length of that cable if you need to carry your laptop into the next room, you have to unplug it and lose your internet connection. But with Wi-Fi, your entire home is blanketed in fast, reliable wireless internet coverage. Having Wi-Fi at home is a huge advantage.
If getting Wi-Fi set up at home seems mysterious or too technical for you, never fear! Heres our short guide to doing this in 4 simple steps.
Read Also: Can You Have 2 Routers In The Same House
Tether Your Smartphone Or Tablet
If you don’t need regular mobile data and instead just need occasional access to the internet on your laptop, the fastest and easiest way to get online is often to tether your smartphone.
Tethering your smartphone or tablet does have two drawbacks.
If you have an Android device, you can enable tethering by heading to Settings > Network and Internet > Hotspot and Tethering > Wi-Fi Hotspot, then slide the toggle next to Wi-Fi Hotspot into the On position.
iOS users need to go to Settings > Personal Hotspot and slide the toggle.
On both Android and iOS, you should set a new username and password to protect the security of your hotspot.
Protecting Your Personal Information
Now, keep your personal data secure.
First, check out your computers security settings.
You should have a security program installed, like a firewall, that can help blog malicious sites from gaining access to your information.
Make sure your browser doesnt save cookies and helps block sites with security vulnerabilities.
Also, be careful about entering your personal information on websites, like your social security number or bank information.
When youre using public internet, you can easily fall victim to security vulnerabilities that put your information in the wrong hands.
Only use websites you trust with your information.
Finally, make sure you log out of your website and e-mail accounts every time you use them and dont store your passwords in your browser.
Also Check: How To Find Your Wifi Password Mac
My Phone/laptop/tablet Wont Connect Even Though My Other Devices Are Fine
Try this: Turn off the offending device and turn it back on. You can also try turning the WiFi off and on again in the settings of your device, just to be thorough.
If this doesnt help, you may need to delete your network from the device entirely. On an iOS or Android device, you can simply click on the network name and hit Forget This Network.
This will mean youll have to find the network again and put the password in like you did the first time you set it up, but it should solve any remaining connection issues in the process.
Need Easy Extra $350+/month For Free
- SwagBucks: Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more to earn real money. Earn up to $35 per survey! No hidden fees and completely free.
- SurveyJunkie: Make $5-$25 in your spare time from home to take online surveys, participating in a Focus Groups and trying new products.
- Branded Surveys: Complete online surveys. Collect points. Redeem your points for cash & gift cards. No hidden fees and completely free! Has so far paid its members over $18 Million.
- Ipsos iSay: Every time you complete a survey, you’ll earn points that you can redeem for cash and other great prizes.
- InboxDollars: Has so far paid its members over $40 Million. Watch videos, take surveys, shop and more.
According to Time, the average person pays about $50 per month for a broadband connection.
Only a decade ago, the average was about $10!
As our internet gets speedier and more people hop on to the web, internet prices keep on rising.
Its no wonder, then, that people take advantage of free WiFi wherever they go, like airports, hotels, and even restaurants.
But, what can you do at home to save money on your internet every month?
There are actually quite a few tricks and tips we have up our sleeves that can get you free internet.
And, theyre all 100% legal ways to do it.
Also Check: How To Find Wifi Password Mac