Do You Get Charged For It
Traditionally, phone calls made using a cellular connection come from your monthly allowance. The Wi-Fi calling feature is similar. Wi-Fi calls have no additional charge its taken from your monthly voice plan.
It’s a fantastic option for employees that telecommute. You won’t pay sky-high international calling rates for making cross-border calls. Youre simply using data from your allowance to make international long-distance calls. Just for perspective, more than 100 million voice calls are made on WhatsApp every day.
The best part? Cisco predicts that by 2021, there will be 542 million wireless network hotspots all over the world that support Wi-Fi calls.
With cloud phone services like Nextiva people can call as much as they want across the United States, Canada, and Puerto Rico. And when it’s time to call abroad, they can call around the world for as low as a penny per minute.
Remove And Reinsert The Sim Card
You should next remove, clean, and reinsert the SIM card in your Android phone if restarting the device didn’t help. Turn your phone off when doing this, and make sure to use a clean microfiber cloth to clean the SIM card before putting it back into your device.
When you do this, the carrier may send your device certain configuration settings, which you should confirm.
Turn Off Cellular Services
Wi-Fi calling needs a strong signal to work on an Android phone. If your phone signal strength is low then you cannot make Wi-Fi calls.
So disable cellular services by switching to airplane mode and turn on Wi-Fi which may fixWi-Fi calling wont turn on Android problem.
Here are the steps below to disable Airplane mode:
- Open the Quick Settings menu by sliding up or down on your phone screen
- Click on the Airplane mode icon to disconnect all cellular services
- Next tap on the Wi-Fi icon to enable it and connect to the Wi-Fi network
If still it doesnt work then try to look over to the next method.
How To Activate Android Wifi Calling
Note: Weve built the feature to extend WiFi calling to all Android devices on our GSM network. Our Super LTE network does not need extra help.
Turn Off Randomized Mac Feature
Randomized Mac feature helps to keep Android phones safe while connecting with new Wi-Fi network but in some cases enabling this feature may cause Wi-Fi calling not working on Android issue.
So, disable the Randomized Mac feature by following the below steps:
- Open Settings and go to Network & Internet section
- Then long tap on the Wi-Fi icon. After that click on the Settings icon.
- Next, go to Advanced> Privacy and choose the Use device MAC option
You May Like: How To Connect Roku Tv To Wifi Without Remote Iphone
Wifi Calling On Android Is Complicated
WiFi calling is available on many devices, but its a little more complicated on Android. WiFi calling may be baked into Android, but your ability to use it depends on your phones manufacturer and your carriers rules.
For example, Verizon only lets you use WiFi calling on Android if you have both WiFi calling and HD voice enabled. If you cant enable both of those features, you cant use WiFi calling. Meanwhile, Sprint has no restrictions on WiFi calling.
Turn On Airplane Mode
Enabling airplane mode solves various network related issues, including problems with Wi-Fi calling. Enable it on your Android phone for a while and then disable it again. You can enable it from the quick settings panel present in the notification panel. Alternatively, go to Settings > Network & internet. Here you will find Airplane mode. Enable and disable it.
Also on Guiding Tech
Read Also: Blink Camera Connect To Wifi
Update Carrier Service App
Carrier Service app helps mobile carriers that support advanced features such as Wi-Fi calling to use the latest networking services.
If you are running outdated carrier service then this may prevent Wi-Fi calling from functioning.
Follow the steps below to update the carrier service app:
- Open Google Play Store app on your phone and click on the menu icon
- Click on the My apps & games menu and tap on the Installed tab
- Look for the Carrier Services app and tap on it.
- Then click on the Update button and after an update installation restart your Android device.
How To Turn On Wifi Calling On Android
This article was written by Travis Boylls. Travis Boylls is a Technology Writer and Editor for wikiHow. Travis has experience writing technology-related articles, providing software customer service, and in graphic design. He specializes in Windows, macOS, Android, iOS, and Linux platforms. He studied graphic design at Pikes Peak Community College. This article has been viewed 33,506 times.
This wikiHow teaches you how to turn on Wi-Fi calling on Android phones. Wi-Fi Calling allows you to make phone calls over a Wi-Fi internet connection, instead of using a cellular connection. Making calls over Wi-Fi is useful if you are in a location where your mobile carrier has poor network coverage. Turning on Wi-Fi calling may differ from phone to phone and carrier to carrier. Check with your mobile carrier for the official way to enable Wi-Fi calling on your particular phone.
Read Also: Spectrum Wifi Extender Setup
Restart Your Router And Phone
It’s a good idea to restart your smartphone and router when you run into Wi-Fi Calling related issues. Most issues can be fixed with a simple restart of your device. To restart an Android phone, press and hold the Power button till the power options are available. Then tap on Restart.
This should clear up issues like a temporarily slow Wi-Fi connection.
Pros And Cons Of Wifi Calling Everything You Need To Know
Do you spend time in such places where phone signals are non-existent or weak? Several people like to spend most of their time in their cozy sub-basement room, in a car parking lot, or a lower-level coffee house.
You will encounter such locations daily where signals are blocked, and cellphones do not work. Therefore, in these circumstances, you can always count on an economical alternative, i.e., wi-fi calling.
Besides, depending on cell towers and various cellphone network carriers, use wi-fi calling to save your day. Moreover, not everybody is knowledgeable about wifi calling. Hence, we will break everything down for you to help you grasp the knowledge.
Read Also: Canon Pixma Mx492 Wireless Setup
How To Tell If You Are Using Wi
You can make an iPhone Wi-Fi call once you see the word Wi-Fi beside the TELUS network name on the status bar of your device. For Android devices, you will see the Wi-Fi calling icon on the status bar of your device. Wi-Fi Calling uses the same native dialler and contact list on your device as for cellular, for your convenience.
If you do not see the Wi-Fi calling text or icon, view our support article on frequently asked questions.
How Do I Turn Off Wifi Calling On Galaxy S9
- Find Settings Press Phone. Press the menu icon. Press Settings.
- Turn Wi-Fi calling on or off. Press the indicator next to WiFi Calling to turn the function on or off. When Wi-Fi calling is active, the Wi-Fi calling icon is displayed.
- Return to the home screen. Press the Home key to return to the home screen.
Recommended Reading: How To Connect Roku Tv To Wifi Without Remote Iphone
How To Enable Wi
Cameron Summerson is the Editor in Chief of Review Geek and serves as an Editorial Advisor for How-To Geek and LifeSavvy. Hes been covering technology for nearly a decade and has written over 4,000 articles and hundreds of product reviews in that time. Hes been published in print magazines and quoted as a smartphone expert in the New York Times. Read more…
If youre on a carrier that supports it, Wi-Fi calling is a great feature to have. It will allow your smartphone to use the best connection in your house to make and receive calls and text messages. It also allows for higher quality audio, and its perfect if you dont get good signal in your house.
While this has been a feature found on Android for many years, its still shocking how many people dont know it exists. This is in part due to slow carrier adoption, but also just a general lack of coverage for the feature and its usefulness. T-Mobile is probably the biggest proponent of Wi-Fi calling at this point, though the four major carriersSprint, T-Mobile, AT& T, and Verizonall support the feature. Unfortunately, if youre saving money by using an MVNO, you likely wont have it as an option. Thats a bummer.
Instructions To Enable May Vary
For those with a Samsung phone running a recent version of One UI, head over to the Settings app, tap on Connections, and then enable the Wi-Fi calling toggle. In the case of OnePlus phones, there are a few extra steps to deal with, but nothing too complicated. In order to enable the feature on phones running a recent version of Oxygen OS, head to Settings, followed by Wi-Fi & Network and then SIM & Network. From here, Select between SIM 1 or SIM 2 and enable the Wi-Fi calling toggle below the Enhanced Communications header.
Once the feature has been enabled, users will see a Wi-Fi phone icon in the status bar. Depending on the Android version or smartphone brand, pulling down the notification shade might also show a message stating that calls will be made over a Wi-Fi network. However, it is worth keeping in mind that Wi-Fi calling can only be enabled on phones that are HD Voice compatible. Usually, domestic calls made over Wi-Fi dont count towards the data allowance for plans offered by the major carriers in the US, but it is worth reading their FAQ pages for the complete terms and conditions for domestic calls. Some carriers do offer free Wi-Fi calling facility for international calls as well, but those might be limited to certain premium plans or select countries.
Read Also: How To Sync Blink Camera To Wifi
What Types Of Devices Can Make Wi
An increasing number of phone service providers support Wi-Fi calls, including:
- AT& T
- Cloud phone systems
Almost all Android and Apple phones now support Wi-Fi calls.
Alternatively, you can use the Nextiva business app to make work-related Wi-Fi calls. You can sync your work phones contact list to the app. Then, you can use the app to make high-quality phone calls over your Wi-Fi.
But what if youre using a device that doesnt have a cellular connection, anyway? The Nextiva App is also compatible with Windows and Mac operating systems. This means you can make Wi-Fi calls through your PC. You dont need your mobile device.
Regardless of which device youre using, you can still make a call using a Wi-Fi connection.
It’s The Way Forward For Remote And Mobile Staff
Wi-Fi calls are a great alternative to cellular calls. You dont need a device containing a SIM card, nor be close to a cellular mobile network tower, to make a phone call.
This makes Wi-Fi calling a perfect option for mobile or remote staff. Regardless of where they are in the world, they can make calls back to your U.S.-based office at no additional charge. Plus, they can hop on the cloud phone even if theyre in the middle of nowhere.
Once you set your preferred calling connection to Wi-Fi, theres no looking back.
Joe Manna is a content marketing manager for Nextiva who obsesses over the Oxford comma, embraces the em dash, and thrives on authoring content that compels people to take action. He is savvy with networking technology, a staunch privacy advocate, and in tune with today’s business needs. His expertise helps companies large and small serve more customers.
Also Check: How To Sync Blink Camera To Wifi
Best Wifi Calling App For Android
There are many options to choose from when it comes to WiFi calling apps for Android. Here are the best ones for WiFi calls these are all great options.
- WhatsApp Everyone is using WhatsApp. You can also make calls via WhatsApp on both Android and iPhone. Calls are processed over WiFi even if you are using a home network. If youre in a pinch, this is probably the easiest option to make a call over WiFi.
- Like WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger is used by almost everyone. And like WhatsApp, it can also be called via WiFi. Facebook Messenger is also free and supports video calling.
- Dingtone Dingtone is a free WiFi calling app. With Dingtone installed on your Android smartphone, you can make unlimited calls to other Dingtone users. If you want to call a number other than Dingtone, you can call by purchasing credit. You can also earn free credits by watching the ads.
- Google Duo is basically Androids answer to FaceTime. It works natively on both Android and iOS, but FaceTime doesnt. Once installed, you can make free video calls over WiFi. Simply download the app and enter your number to call other Google Duo users for free.
- signal Signal is the safest IM app on the planet. Everything in Signal provides communication with another Signal user and is 100% encrypted. You can also use Signal to make free WiFi calls and make video calls. Signal is a free download and is one of the best alternatives to WhatsApp on the market today.
How Do I Turn Off Wifi Calling
- Go to Settings > Phone > Wi-Fi Calling and make sure that Wi-Fi Calling is on.
- Restart your iPhone.
- Connect to a different Wi-Fi network. Not all Wi-Fi networks work with Wi-Fi Calling.
- Turn Wi-Fi Calling off and then on again.
- Go to Settings > General > Reset and tap Reset Network Settings.
You May Like: Using Wifi Extender With Spectrum
How To Turn Off Wifi Calling In Ios Device
iPhone, iPad and MacBook users are well aware that iOS devices settings differ significantly from those of Android smartphones. The alternative to stop WiFi Calling is available here, so you may stop accepting WiFi Calls.
- Go to the Menu bar on your iPhone and select Settings.
- Now scroll down to the bottom > Select Cellular.
- Look for the WiFi Calling Feature.
- This option may be found in the menu bar under Settings.
- To disable WiFi Calling, press and hold the green button until it turns off.
This is all WiFi calling on your iPhone or iPad has now been deactivated, and your phone will no longer receive phone calls. The same steps must be done for every device running the iOS operating system.