Set Up Your Google Wifi With Google Home
Before getting started here, make sure your access point is within range of your main router otherwise, you won’t be able to finish the setup. Now, open the Google Home app to the main screen, then tap the plus button in the upper left corner. Go to “Set up device,” then tap “Set up new devices in your home.”
Now you can choose which home you want to set up your Google Wifi in. Hit “Next” then enable your location services if needed to help locate the device. It will begin searching for your Google Wifi. It should find it pretty quick, but it might show up as “Nest Wifi router,” which is fine. Hit “Yes” when it asks if you want to set up this device. Scan the QR code on the bottom of the Google Wifi access point to continue.
Once you scan the QR code, you’ll be asked whether or not you want to use Wifi point usage stats. If you want more privacy, you should say, “No thanks,” otherwise, hit “Yes, I’m In.” The next screen will inform you about Nest Wifi cloud services. Tap “Got it” to move on. Now you’ll add the device to one of your rooms or create a new one, then hit “Next” to continue.
From here, it will create your mesh Wifi point and do all the background things necessary to connect it to your network. Be patient with this part, as it might take a few minutes. Once it finishes, it’ll ask if you want to set up another Wifi device. Hit “Not Now” to continue.
Google Home Won’t Connect To Wi
The above steps should be enough to see your speaker connect to your Wi-Fi network, but we know through experience this isn’t always the case. If your Google Home can’t connect to Wi-Fi, try the steps below:
- Restart your router and wait 30 seconds.
- Reset your Google Home or Assistant-enabled device to factory settings.
- Update the firmware on your router.
- Ensure your speaker and phone/tablet is within ample range of the router.
- Check your phone or tablet is connected to the same network you’re trying to connect your speaker to.
How To Set Up A Google Home Device On The App
1. Plug in your Google Home device. When you hear a chime, you know it’s powered on.
2. Open the Google Home app and tap the plus + icon in the top-left.
3. Choose Set up device from the Add and manage menu.
4. Tap the New devices option to begin linking your Google Home to the app.
Quick tip: You can also link existing devices, like light bulbs or plugs, by tapping the Works with Google option.
5. You will be asked to choose a home to link your Google Home device to. Select an existing Home profile or create a new one, then tap Next.
6. The Google Home app will begin searching for devices. Once it identifies your Google Home device, tap Next.
7. Once it’s finished connecting, the Google Home app will ask you to confirm the connection by playing a sound on the Google Home speaker. Tap Yes if you hear the sound, or Try Again if you don’t.
8. You may be asked to agree to legal terms. If they appear, click I agree or No thanks.
9. You may be asked to opt-in to improve your device experience by sharing device stats and crash reports with Google. Choose either No thanks or Yes, I’m in.
10. Pick which room the device is located in to help name and organize your Google Home speaker within the Google Home app. Then tap Next.
11. Select the Wi-Fi network you want to connect your speaker to. Then tap Next.
Also Check: How To Sync Blink Camera To Wifi
How To Change Your Wi Fi Password
This article was co-authored by Luigi Oppido. Luigi Oppido is the Owner and Operator of Pleasure Point Computers in Santa Cruz, California. Luigi has over 25 years of experience in general computer repair, data recovery, virus removal, and upgrades. He is also the host of the Computer Man Show! broadcasted on KSQD covering central California for over two years. This article has been viewed 8,997,098 times.
Wi-Fi is great for keeping you connected, but a poorly secured Wi-Fi can put your personal information at risk. Keeping your router password protected and changing the password regularly are essential keys to protecting your network and your data. Changing your password also keeps cheap neighbors from stealing your bandwidth! To change your Wi-Fi password, you’ll need to open your router’s configuration page, log in using your current details, and change the password under the wireless settings menu.
How To Change Wi
If you have bought yourself a Google Home Mini speaker and have no idea how to connect it to a Wi-Fi connection, you need first to download the Google Home app. Download the app via Google Play for Android and App Store for iOS devices. Ensure that your mobile device and Google Home Mini are on the same Wi-Fi network.
Read Also: How To Sync Blink Camera To Wifi
What You Can Do With The Google Home App
The Google Home app includes a lot of helpful features, including the ability to:
- Set up and control Google Nest, Google Home, WiFi, and Chromecast devices
- Control, organize, and manage compatible lights, cameras, speakers, and more like a remote for smart home devices
- Check reminders and recent notifications
- Manage settings for Google devices and Google Assistant, like updating what news sources you get updates from and the types of information Google Assistant relays when you ask it to tell you about your day
- Link to music services like YouTube, Spotify, Apple Music, and Pandora
If You Ever Change Your Router You’ll Want To Know How To Do This
Changing the Wi-Fi network that your devices connect to isn’t something you need to do very often. But when you do such as when you install a new router or change the name of your Wi-Fi network it can be tricky working out what to do.
Things can get even more complex when you’re working with devices that don’t have a way to change this on the device physically, like a smart home products that’s specifically controlled through a smartphone app.
Recommended Reading: How To Connect Roku Tv To Wifi Without Remote Iphone
Switch Chromecast To Another Wifi Network
As mentioned above, changing the WiFi Network on Chromecast is easy when your existing network is still active. In this case, you are basically switching Chromecast from one network to another.
1. Start the TV to which your Chromecast is connected and make sure that Chromecast is powered on
2. Now, open the Google Home App on your iPhone or Android Phone.
3. Next, tap on the 3-bar Menu icon located at the top left corner of your screen.
4. From the Menu that appears, tap on Devices.
5. On the Devices Screen, tap On the 3-dots Menu icon
6. Next, tap on Settings from the drop-down menu.
7. On the Settings screen, tap on the WiFi option.
8. You will see a pop-up, tap on your WiFi Network Name
9. From the drop-down, select your New WiFi Network
10. Next enter your WiFi Password and tap on OK.
Note: In case you get an Error Message, make sure that the WiFi network on your phone is matching with the WiFi network on Chromecast.
Setting Up Your Home With Google Home
It can be confusing to learn how to set up Wi-Fi with Google Home and change it to a network if needed. Fortunately, once you know the steps, you can easily disconnect and reconnect a Google Home device to Wi-Fi wherever you want it.
Now that your Google Home is up and running, why not learn some useful commands for it? After all, a smart hub is only as useful as the commands that you give it.
Image Credit: CoinUp/ Shutterstock.com
Recommended Reading: Does Pokemon Go Work Without Internet
How To Change Your Chromecast To A New Wi
Various casting devices allow you to stream media files from mobile phones and tablets to your TV or PC, but Google Chromecast is one of the most portable devices amongst them. You can take it everywhere, but theres a small catchit can only remember one Wi-Fi network at a time.
If you take your Chromecast with you or you have more than one Wi-Fi source inside the home, youll need to change its Wi-Fi regularly. Depending on the reason for the change, the process can be straightforward or a bit tricky.
Google Nest Hub Max On Sale At Walmart
To get started, you’ll want to make sure your smartphone and are connected to the same Wi-Fi network.
Next, open the Google Home smartphone app, then tap on the device where you want to change the Wi-Fi settings. Now tap on the Settings icon in the top-right corner, then tap Wi-Fi -> Forget this network.
You will then be returned to the home screen. Here, you can go through, and need to go through, the Wi-Fi setup process again, and connect the device to your new Wi-Fi network.
However, if you have already set up a new Wi-Fi network say you have installed a new router and thrown your old one away you may not be able to connect to the Google/Nest device using the Google Home app. If you run into this problem, which we have experienced ourselves, you can try this next step for troubleshooting, which involves a factory reset of your smart home device.
Changing a Home Hub’s settings requires the Google Home phone appGearBrain
Troubleshooting: If the smart home device won’t connect to the new router
If your smart home device refuses to connect to the new router, you can do a factory reset of the device. This is not as ominous as it sounds, as smart home devices themselves don’t hold much information on them those details are in the app.
To start this option, to perform a factory reset of the product, follow our instructions here, then come back to this article. It should take just a few seconds to reset the device.
Also Check: How To Connect Canon Mx492 Printer To Wifi
How To Set Up The Google Wifi System
Craig Lloyd is a smarthome expert with nearly ten years of professional writing experience. His work has been published by iFixit, Lifehacker, Digital Trends, Slashgear, and GottaBeMobile. Read more…
Mesh Wi-Fi networking is all the rage lately, and even Google has gotten in on the fun. Heres how to set up in order to get rid of dead spots at all corners of your house or apartment.
If youre not familiar with what mesh Wi-Fi is and how it works, we have an explainer that can get you caught up. But essentially, mesh Wi-Fi systems are a set of wireless routers that you place around your house. From there, they all connect together and carpet-bomb your house with the best Wi-Fi signal possible.
Start by unboxing the Google WiFi units and grab one to use as your main unit that youll connect to your modem . Youll need the power cord, as well as the ethernet cable thats included.
Next, plug in the first Google WiFi unit into an outlet and connect the other end into the USB-C port on the bottom of the unit. Then take the ethernet cable and plug one end into the ethernet port on your modem and the other end into the green ethernet port on the Google WiFi unit. If you have a modem/router combo, simply just plug the ethernet cable into any one of the numbered ethernet ports on the combo unit.
How To Change Wifi On Chromecast
Tochange your WiFi network on a Chromecast, start the TV and open the Google Homeapp. Then select your device and tap the gear icon in the top-right corner ofyour screen. Finally, tap WiFi> Forget this Network.
Note: Before you start, make sure your smartphone or other device is connected to the same network as the Chromecast. If you cant connect to the same network, youll have to manually reset your Chromecast. You can find out how to reset your Chromecast in the instructions below.
If you are connecting to a new WiFi network, you might not be able to connect to your Chromecast. If this is the case, you will have to manually reset your Chromecast. Then you can connect it to the new network by setting it up again.
You May Like: How To Sync Blink Camera To Wifi
What Happens When You Change Google Home Wi
Once the Wi-Fi on the Google Home speaker is changed, the device will continue to work perfectly. You can still ask questions, stream music from YouTube Music, set reminders, etc. But there is one side effect that it’s important to be aware of.
For Google Home to control your smart home devices, all of those devices need to be on the same Wi-Fi network. Therefore if you are changing the Wi-Fi setting on the Google Home speaker, you will need to change the Wi-Fi setting for any other smart device you want that speaker to control. Even changing a home speaker to a guest Wi-Fi can cause trouble controlling other devices in your home.
This comes in handy when you have multiple home speakers in various locations – a vacation home, for example. It also prevents others in a multi-family residence from inadvertently activating other devices. Fortunately, once the Wi-Fi is changed on all affected devices, the commands you give the speaker are still the same. “Turn on the living room lights” will still work in the new setup.