Can You Use Alexa Without Wi
While most of Alexas skills require Wi-Fi, there are still a couple of ways to use Alexa when the Wi-Fi is out:
- You can use Alexa as a bluetooth speaker without Wi-Fi, but youll need Wi-Fi for the initial pairing.
- Active Alexa alarms and timers will still work without Wi-FI, but you cant set new ones or say Alexa stop when they go off.
Reposition The Alexa Device Or Router
If your router and Alexa device are a little bit apart, make sure theyre close enough for a solid connection. Amazon recommends a maximum distance of 30 feet or 10 meters between the two.
If they are relatively close together, make sure nothing is sitting in the middle that may interfere with the Wi-Fi signal. For example, if any other devices use Wi-Fi sitting in the way between your router and your Alexa hub, their signals may interfere with the communications.
Also, ensure that there are no metal objects between the two. For example, microwaves can be a huge Wi-Fi signal killer, so be sure to move them out of the way of those. Wi-Fi signals also struggle to get through thick walls.
The Process Of Connecting Alexa To Wifi Without The App Includes:
1. Start by opening your browser on a smartphone or PC and entering . You can use different web browsers such as Safari, Google Chrome, Opera, and Mozilla Firefox.
2. Next, log in to your Amazon account by entering your user ID and passcode. If you dont have an account, you will see Create New Amazon Account at the bottom of the tab.
3. Once youve registered, you can see a menu on the left side click on Settings. If you cant see this option, try zooming out or expanding your browser tab.
4. After pressing the settings button, you will see the Set Up New Device option.
5. Next, choose the Alexa device you want to connect to WiFi. If you dont see your device try scrolling down to see more options. After finding your device, click Continue.
6. Plug your Alexa device into a powered wall outlet.
7. Wait for some minutes for the light on your device to turn orange. Note: if your devices light doesnt turn orange, then select Dont see the orange light. You will be directed to the button to press on your device.
8. Next, connect to the WiFi with the format Amazon-XXX on your smartphone or PC without shutting down your browser. For PCs, the WiFi button is in the bottom right corner, and on your smartphone just go to settings then WiFi.
9. Once you have joined the Amazon WiFi network, go back to the browser and press Continue. You will see a window indicating Your phone is connected to Alexa.
11. Next, enter the WiFi passcode and click on Connect.
Also Check: Blink Sync Module No Lights
Connecting Your Alexa Device To A New Wi
If you have an Alexa device that had already been set up in the past but now needs to be connected to a new Wi-Fi network or an existing network with a changed password, follow these steps.
Tap the menu icon, then the Settings option.
Tap Device Settings, then choose the device you want to change the Wi-Fi network for.
Tap Change, next to Wi-Fi Network.
The setup is now the same as above, starting at Step 10.
How To Connect Your First
After you’ve tried all the typical troubleshooting options for your Echo device, you need to move on to your absolute last resort before replacing the whole device.
Before you follow through with the steps below, put the Echo into setup mode. This will help your device search for nearby Wi-Fi networks.
To do this, press and hold the action button on the top of the device for at least 15 seconds. You’ll be able to know if your device is in setup mode because the Echo light ring color system will turn orange.
Once the light turns orange, move forward connecting your device with your Wi-Fi network.
- Open your Alexa app
- Choose the device you want to connect
- Select Change next to Wi-Fi Network
- Follow on-screen instructions
At this point, your Alexa app will try and search for your Alexa device in order to connect the Echo to a wireless signal.
The app won’t be able to complete this step because it won’t be able to read your device correctly. Instead of giving up or contacting Amazon, keep attempting to connect your device.
After about three or four unsuccessful connections, your Alexa app will prompt you to try another method.
This method will involve connecting your phone to a local Amazon internet server. When you connect to this server, Amazon will be able to manually connect your Echo device back to your home’s internet.
Read Also: How To Change Wifi On Blink Camera
Reconnecting Your Alexa Device To Wi
What happens if you change routers ? The Alexa device will have no idea where to connect. In this case, youll need to open the Amazon Alexa app, tap on the registered device, and change the connection manually.
Step 1: Open the Alexa app and sign in if necessary. On the home screen, select the Devices section from the bottom menu.
Step 2: In the Devices section, select the category for the kind of Alexa device you are using. For example, if you are reconnecting an Echo, choose Echo and Alexa.
Step 3: You will now see all devices that are labeled as part of your Amazon account. Choose the device that you want to reconnect.
Step 4: Under Wi-Fi Network, tap Change.
Step 5: Verify the Alexa device is plugged in and displaying a light.
Step 6: Select the detected device from the given list.
Step 7: Choose a Wi-Fi network and supply the password.
If This Is A Brand New Device Or It Has Been Factory Reset And Unregistered From The Account:
Also Check: How To Reset Blink Sync Module
Manually Reset 1st Generation Echo
- You can find the reset button on the device, which is essentially a tiny button in a hole available underneath the device.
- You can use an unbent paper clip to press and hold the reset button until you first see an orange light that turns blue after some time.
- Once you see the blue light, you can release the button.
- Next, youll first see the light turn off and then on again after a couple of seconds.
- Once the light comes back, it turns orange, indicating that the device is in setup mode.
- Since you have reset the device, you must register it to your existing Amazon account or create a new one, depending upon your preference.
- Lastly, you must open the Alexa app and connect the device to the desired Wifi network.
How To Connect Alexa To Wifi Without App Overview
After buying your new Alexa device, for instance, the Amazon Echo dot, you cant wait to pop the box open and begin using your device.
The Echo line of smart speakers is Alexa enabled, and they offer an infinite number of cutting-edge capabilities and features.
Alexa devices such as the Echo dot are not wireless devices, and as such, you first have to ensure they are properly connected to a wall outlet.
However, there isnt much you can do with an Alexa device if its not connected to WiFi.
You May Like: Sony Bravia Tv Wifi
Change Which Band The Alexa Device Connects To
If your router supports broadcasting on the 2.4 and 5GHz bands, you can try changing the device from one band to the other. The 2.4GHz band has a better range, so changing to that one from the 5GHz band may help give the device that extra boost in signal strength that it needs.
Doing this changes depending on what kind of router you have. Sometimes the router will broadcast two different channels, one for each channel. Sometimes the router only broadcasts one channel and intelligently sorts the devices into each band by itself.
Whichever method your dual-band router takes, try switching the Alexa device from one band to the other and see if that fixes your issue.
Can You Connect To Alexa Without Wifi: A Guide To Using Alexa Without Wifi
Alexa is an intelligent device that can help you make sense of your life. But its not always easy to use without WiFi. This guide will tell you how to connect Alexa with Bluetooth and when Wi-Fi is a must, so even if there isnt an internet connection in the house, your Amazon Echo or Dot can still offer assistance with queries about the weather, upcoming appointments, news updates on any topic imaginable!
Sometimes we dont have access to WiFi, or we are in an area with poor internet service. We can still use our Amazon Echo to ask Alexa questions over Bluetooth but there is a bit of preparation needed first!
This article will guide you through the steps on how to connect your Amazon Alexa device for Bluetooth and when WiFi must be used as well as some best practices for using it without Wi-Fi.
Don’t Miss: Can I Set Up Two Routers In My House
Six Things To Try To Fix An Amazon Echo That Has No Internet Connection
ByJim Martin, Editor| 03 Nov 2020
Alexa is Amazons digital assistant and whether you love her or loathe her, she is undoubtedly part of your household and called upon whenever you want to listen to music, get a weather forecast or turn on the kitchen lights.
For the most part Amazon Echo speakers and smart displays are trouble-free if you discount all the times Alexa responds to your question with Hmm. I dont know that one.
If shes refusing to answer anything and complaining that she cant connect to Wi-Fi, heres what to do to try and fix the situation.
How To Connect Alexa To Wifi
Its simple once you know how!
Learning how to connect Alexa to WiFi isnt just part of setting up an Echo Dot or Echo Show, Alexa functionality needs a live WiFi connection to work, at all. Amazons Alexa is a household name in 2021, with everyone, including Grandparents, adapting to speaking to a modern-looking speaker in the living room.
From getting a weather forecast to playing your favorite song on Spotify or Amazon Music, WiFi connectivity powers Alexa to cover all kinds of smart commands and activities. This is also how your smart plugs, bulbs, switches, and more connect to Amazons mouthpiece.
Read Also: Does Southwest Have Wifi
Does Alexa Need Wi
Almost everything Alexa does requires Wi-Fi. Alexa doesnt even process your speech on its own. Instead, it sends your speech to the Alexa Cloud.
Some of that is changing as newer Echo devices will include local voice processing. Currently, this is only available on the 4th-generation Echo and the 3rd-gen Echo Show 10. Moving voice processing offline is mostly for security purposes, though. Youll still need Wi-Fi for most of Alexas functions for a long time to come.
Theres No Option To Change Wi
Double-check that your router is functioning correctly. If it is, make sure that you selected the right Alexa device. Sometimes older devices that have been inactive for a long time, have been switched off, or that you dont even own anymore can still appear on your account. If your Alexa device has similar names, its easy to select the wrong one. You can easily prevent this from happening again by removing old devices on your Amazon accounts managing devices menu.
If youre still having trouble connecting, its a good idea to for help. Most of the time, they can solve your problems quickly and efficiently.
You May Like: Southwest Airlines Airtime App
Manually Reset 2nd Generation Echo
You should know the manual reset procedure for the second-generation Amazon Echo device is different from the first generation.
- You must press and hold the Volume Down and microphone buttons simultaneously for about 20 seconds and wait until you first see an orange light ring.
- After a moment, the orange ring turns blue.
- Now, you can let go of both the buttons. The light will again turn off and on on its own, indicating the setup mode.
- Once the device is in setup mode, go to the Alexa app on your smartphone, iPad, or tablet and connect it to a Wifi network.
- Again, you should register the device after resetting it manually.
How To Connect Alexa To Other Smart Devices
If you get a new connected smart light bulb, security camera, smart lock or pretty much any other smart home gadget, Alexa can likely talk to it, too. As long as the device is Alexa-compatible, just head to the Alexa app.
Once the app is open, tap Devices, then tap the little More button in the upper right hand corner of the app. A menu will slide up from the bottom of the screen, and you’ll be able to add devices by tapping — you guessed it — Add Device. From here, select the smart home device you want to add and follow the specific onscreen directions for your new gadget.
You May Like: Can I Have Two Routers In My House
Getting Alexa Back Online
While Alexa can be very helpful, it’s only good when it can connect to your Wi-Fi network and get on the internet. Hopefully, with these steps, you’ll find the bugbear within your network and get your Amazon Alexa device back online.
Once Alexa is back on the internet, did you know that there are a bunch of voice commands you can give it to make your life easier? From adjusting the volume via voice control to picking a number within a range of numbers, Alexa can do more than you think.
How To Connect Alexa To Wifi App
Then select echo & alexa and choose the alexa device you want to connect to a new wifi network. Then you need to download the alexa app for echo dot on your device whether it is mac, windows, android or apple iphone.
Patreon Alexa App Alexa Setup Echo Dot Setup
Also Check: Where Is Reset Button On Blink Xt2 Camera