Cox Slow Internet Problems
Weve all experienced slow internet with Cox Cable. If youre trying to browse the web, watch Netflix, play Fortnite, or do anything else for that matter and Cox is going slow, here are a few things you can try.
Sadly, if you call for help the first question will be if youre using a wired connection, or Wireless . Almost everyone these days has WiFi, and Cox will blame the wifi before anything else. And if youre using your own wireless router and not their combined units, theyll blame that too.
Heres what you need to do to figure out and fix slow Cox internet.
- Restart the Router This is usually the easiest and fastest fix
- Restart the Modem If the Modem is separate, restart it too
- Leave unplugged for over 1 minute
First of all, restart your router. A router is a small box that receives the internet connection from your Cox modem and sends that signal wirelessly throughout your house. This is how you connect your phones, tablets, laptop, or Xbox to WiFi. Sometimes the internet cable modem and router are an all-in-one device. Those have even more problems because they overheat. So, restart the router or modem, or both. Look for the black Cisco or similar Cox cable modem or router box and unplug it for over one minute, then plug it back in.
This can fix most slowdowns. Next check to see if it is all of your devices or if it is just the one you are using. You can also restart that specific device. Next, try some of Coxs slow internet troubleshooting tips.
How To Troubleshoot Home Wifi And Router Issues
The bottom line: 99% of home WiFi issues can be fixed by unplugging the router, waiting five seconds, then plugging it back in. This resets the device and frequently improves the speed.
- WiFi not working
- WiFi network disappearing
- Devices that wont connect to Wifi
Well cover what to do if your connection is running slower than usual, as well as how to troubleshoot a network that wont connect at all. Well also take a look at several tools you can use to help troubleshoot your connection when problems crop up.
How To Find Wifi Dead Spots In Your Home
Losing signal in certain areas of your house? We know how frustrating that can be. Here are some simple ‘how-to’s’ that can help you fix those pesky wifi dead spots.
First, follow these steps to find dead spots on your home network:
1. Before you begin, ensure your router is centrally located in your home.
3. Optimize your home. Not sure how? Keep reading or check out Cox Panoramic Wifi for fast, wall-to-wall coverage in every part of your home
You May Like: Delta Wifi Netflix
The Gateway Not Connecting To The Network
The gateway gives you a basic internet connection so you may watch a number of streaming services from the convenience of your own home. It can sometimes deteriorate. This is due to a lack of interoperability since coxs wifi is unable to connect to it correctly.
This issue might also be caused by hardware put in the gateway thus, we recommend that you examine your gateway on a regular basis.
How To Resolve Standard Self
When you dont know whats wrong with your internet, call upon this short list of common self-installation problems. If they dont solve the issue, call Cox technical support at 1-800-234-3993.
Problem: The modems lights never turned on.
Problem: My tablet wont connect to the internet.
Problem: I cant connect to the internet from a wired computer.
Recommended Reading: How To Find My Wifi Password On A Mac
Make Sure Your Xbox Is Protected
Protect the devices your family loves and relies on with one simple plan that covers all your favorite home tech. With Asurion Home+, we cover your computers, TVs, tablets, premium headphones, smart devices, and so much moreâplus, 24/7 assistance for your whole family with any tech care needâfor less than $1/day.Learn more about Asurion Home+ coverage and how you can get peace-of-mind device protection.
Blinking Orange Cox Panoramic Wifi Not Working
When your WiFi isn’t working, one of the first things you’ll notice is the color of your gateway’s LED light. You could see an orange light blinking or flashing instead of the typical white or yellowish tint.
While the significance of individual router and modem lights varies, an orange blinking or flashing light on the Cox Panoramic WiFi is not a good indication. The orange blinking light merely indicates that your gateway is attempting to connect to the internet. It’s trying to make a connection to the internet.
Read Also: How To Reset Blink Sync Module Remotely
Lets Talk About Why Does Cox Internet Slows Down At Night
There are 8 reasons we have found by analyzing hundreds of internet packages related to online forums. Lets learn about them first
1. Cox is throttling your connection
2. Your modem is outdated and needs to be replaced
3. You have too many devices connected to the internet at once, which can slow down speeds
4. There are too many people using the same bandwidth in your area
5. Your neighbors are all online, which slows down your internet speed as well
6. The weather has an effect on how fast or slow it takes for data to travel from point A to point B
7. Cox doesnt provide adequate coverage in certain areas of town because they dont want you to switch providers so they just let you suffer from a bad connection until you eventually give up and cancel service with them
8. Coxs servers might be having technical difficulties due to high traffic volume during peak hours of usage or there could be some other type of problem that were not aware of yet thats causing this issue.
My Wifi Network Disappeared Completely
Try this: Check to see where your router is positioned. If it is somewhere cramped, such as behind a couch, or crammed into a crowded equipment cabinet, it may be overheating and shutting down automatically to prevent any damage.
If youre able to move your router somewhere where it has more airflow, you should be able to solve the overheating issue.
If you feel that your router is positioned somewhere ideal and that overheating isnt the problem, there are a few other things that could be happening.
For one, your network may have reset itself due to an update. Take a look at the default network name and see if you recognize that network when looking for a connection.
Also Check: How To Reset A Blink Sync Module
Ways To Fix Slow Cox Internet Connection Problem
Here you go:
1. Unplug your router and modem from the power source for thirty seconds. Plug in your modem first, then follow by plugging in your router. Restart both devices by unplugging them again, waiting ten seconds, and then plugging them back in.
2. Check your internet connection with a different device
3. Contact Cox Customer Service for more information or to have an engineer come out and fix the problem
4. Update your routers firmware to make it run faster and more efficiently
5. Change the channel on your television set-top box from Auto to 1 or 2 if youre using a coaxial cable, or change the frequency setting from Auto to 6-8 if youre using a fiber optic cable
6. Make sure that there isnt anything blocking any of the cables in your home, including furniture, curtains, pets, etc., as this can cause interference with wireless signals and slow down speeds significantly also check that all cables are connected properly at both ends
7. Reset your network settings by holding down Reset button on back of modem for 30 seconds until it reboots itself then wait 10 minutes before restarting any other devices like computers and routers so they can reconnect automatically after reboot is completed.
8. If you are still having slow speeds with the above troubleshooting steps, please call at Cox technical support team at 800-269-2355 to speak with a technician about additional things that can be done from their end.
It’s Time For An Upgrade
If you rent a modem from Cox, you should already have one that fully supports the speeds you pay for. To be sure, you want a modem that supports at least DOCSIS 3.0 with DOCSIS 3.1 preferred. The CM1000 from Netgear is a good choice though it may be overkill for people that don’t have the fastest speed on their plan. If you have a connection less than 500Mbps, the CM700 should be adequate.
If your modem is all set you can add some speed with an upgraded router. Moving up to Wi-Fi 6 is an easy way to add more speed if you have devices that support it. Wi-Fi 6 routers also often have superior coverage compared to a similar Wi-Fi 5 router thanks to technology like OFDMA and beam steering making the most of the available connection.
If you live in a large home or one with a lot of elements that can block wireless signals, like concrete walls, a mesh solution might be the perfect upgrade for you. Not to mention, the prices on mesh systems have continued to come down with even cheap mesh systems capable of delivering well over 400Mbps to devices.
Building the best network possible is about optimizing at every opportunity. Once you find where your internet is getting bottlenecked, you can find a way to improve that portion. It’s easy to jump to the router first but a router can only deliver the speeds it’s given. Before running out and dropping a lot of money on the fastest router you can find, make sure everything else is in order and working as it should.
Recommended Reading: Airtime Player Southwest
Check The Cables And Connections
Another reason for this blinking yellow light can be a loose connection. Therefore, check all the cables going in and out of the outer and make sure to check both ends of the cables. In order to make sure everything sits firmly connected, it is recommended to check each connection separately and if you want you can disconnect and connect everything again. In case a loose connection was causing the problem, you will see the orange light turning solid white by the time you finish the inspection.
What Is A Wifi Captive Portal
A captive portal is a web page that is displayed to newly connected users of a WiFi network. It requires some sort of interaction before granting access to network resources. In other words if you want to connect to a network that runs that, you need to go through a captive portal first.
Captive portals are commonly used to present a landing or log-in page which may require:
- acceptance of an end-user license agreement, acceptable use policy,
- survey completion,
- other information that both the host and user agree to adhere by.
Don’t Miss: How Long Do Internet Routers Last
Wired Cable Configuration Is Being Re
When the cox gateway blinking orange is displayed in front of you, then in such a situation, restoring the wired cable setup is also considered the best way. For a wire connection setup, you have to use the manual guide provided where you can go through the steps.
As soon as this set starts performing in front of you, then it troubleshoots various types of internet problems.
Change The Routers Wireless Mode
Although this is a rare occurrence, it occurs only when you have an outdated WiFi setup. If youre using an Ethernet cable to connect your device to the router, youll be able to access the Internet. Then there might be a communication gap between the two of them.
Then well have to correct it, after which well be able to switch modes. By the way, the router has a variety of modes that you may access through your dashboard.
The option for virus mode is accessible here. Then, next to Wireless mode, choose 802.11b from the drop-down box, enter an ID and password, and save your settings. The blinking orange problem has been fixed, and you may now use its services while sitting comfortably.
We have done our best to explain numerous reasons and solutions to you in a clear and concise manner, but you are still experiencing the same issue as previously. Then youll need to contact Cox Communications, which offers services by phone, chat, and email.
You can share your ideas with us in the comments area, and we will do our best to assist you.
You May Like: Blink Camera Distance From Sync Module
Reasons Why Cox Panoramic Wifi Blinking Orange Light
The Cox Panoramic WiFi device uses a different set of colored lights to indicate various possible problems. There are a total of four colors green, blue, orange-red, and white. Therefore, each light indicates a different situation or issue with the device. Here, well focus on the potential problems indicated by an orange blinking light.
Attempt A Normal Reset
This problem can be easily resolved by resetting the router, for which you have to follow the steps given below:
- Youll need to find the reset button on your cox modem thats on the friend or back side.
- Press and hold the button for 10 to 15 seconds while the router is on
- Now release that button and the router starts completing its reporting process.
- Here you have to wait 30 seconds
- From here you have to do some verification for which login with your default IDP with your username and password
- Now lets see that your problem is gone
For some reason this step doesnt work for you then you can move on to the next step which always works.
Read Also: Blink Sync Module Setup