How To Fix Xfinity Wifi Connected But No Internet Access
Before start, you are recommended to determine the real cause of the problem, the modem or the router. Disconnect your router from the network. Connect just one computer directly to your modem via Ethernet and power cycle the modem. If the problem still exists, it probably is the modem or signal issues. If your problem is corrected, then focus on router or Wi-Fi issues.
Solution 1 Restart Gateway
The most common method to fix the no Internet access issue is to restart the gateway. Just power off/unplug your gateway, wait for several minutes or so, and power on/re-plug the gateway again to see whether you can connect to your Internet or not.
Or, you can just reset your gateway to factory specs to try to handle the problem. If you still cant access the Internet, go to the next solution.
Pro Installation Vs Self
Xfinity also gives you the option of purchasing professional installation. If you choose to have professional installation, a technician will come to your house and set everything up for you. There are good reasons for choosing either option, so lets take a closer look:
- Unexpected problems must be dealt with by yourself
- Some technical skill required
The choice of whether or not to self-install primarily depends on how confident you feel troubleshooting problems on your own. Thanks to Xfinitys helpful app and other information on its site, we think the process is simple enough that most people could handle self-installation. But even if you are super tech savvy, there are some issues that require professional installation.
- Older homes that dont have a coax outlet to plug your modem into will need one installed. This can take a very long time.
- Locations that havent had Xfinity service for 12 months or more require a technician to come check the cable line.
- Installations that require more pieces of equipment than comes in a standard installation kit might require professional installation. This can happen if you bundle several services.
- If you want to move the location where your modem is installed to a different room, youll need a professional installer to run a new cable. You could also just get a Wi-Fi extender.
Also Check: Can You Have Two Routers In The Same House
Customizing Your Network Settings
Let us say you want to change the wireless Name and Password of your network. This is a bonus from us.
Keep in mind that changing certain settings may cause your router to stop working, so were only going to teach how to change the SSID and Password with these easy steps.
When all is done, make sure to remember your new Wi-Fi name and password by writing it down to prevent authentication problems in the future.
How Do I Get Wifi When I Move
Recommended Reading: How To Reset Blink Camera System
The Best Modems And Routers For Xfinity
To use Xfinity internet, youll need a compatible modem and router. You might think a modem and a router are the same device, but they are not. Simply put, a modem is a device that connects your household to your service provider, in this case, Xfinity. A router connects to the modem in order to create a Wi-Fi network in your home that your computers and connected devices can use to access the internet. Modems and routers can be purchased separately, or you can use a device that combines the two.
If youre signing up for Xfinity service, you have two options: rent a modem and router for a fee of $14/mo or purchase your own. While you might take comfort knowing that the Xfinity-provided device is compatible, its important to note that the rental will cost you about $168/year. For around that amount , you can buy your own compatible equipment to use with Xfinity and save yourself hundreds of dollars of rental fees over the next few years.
To help you find the best modem for Xfinity by Comcast, weve compiled this guide to provide you several options to consider.
Activate Your Modem Online
There’s another way you can activate Xfinity Internet without the app: you can do so online. This also works if you’re activating Xfinity TV. All you need to do is turn on your equipment and go to Xfinity.com/activate. There you’ll find easy instructions for how to activate your devices.
If you’ve done all of the above and still can’t figure out how to activate your devices, there’s a list of videos on the Xfinity website that might help you. These videos can help clarify the process depending on whether you have Xfinity xFi Gateway or want to use your own router.
Read Also: Wifi Password Finder Mac
How Do I Set Up My First Wifi
How to Set Up Internet at Your Home
Activating Your Internet Service
Now since you have connected to the network, all thats left with your Xfinity router setup is to connect it to the Xfinity internet service.
Follow this next set of steps to activate your service.
Once the activation is finished, your Wi-Fi network might reboot by itself, and it may also take up to 10 minutes to finalize the Xfinity router setup.
Recommended Reading: Blink Sync Module No Green Light
Does It Really Work 1
If I find a hotspot and I can get it to let me connect it boots me after 5 minutes or less! It always asks for my password! What’s with this? I’ve got The Xfinity security, the app, and 1 time in a month it scrolled a list for me to connect to. Let’s see if they really read this! It took 3 yes 3 installs at my home and a month without TV , Phone , and WIFI , And to top it off they lost my old phone number too! At least the company I was with worked. They were slow but worked! My home wifi is the only good thing! Oh 2 year LOCKED IN PRICE YEA RIGHT! ITS INCREASINGLY RAISES EVERY MONTH SINCE MARCH! Until I’m helped and answered my rating stays 1 ! If I get help and answers I will raise my 1to what it deserves! Plz watch this post! People do ur homework! They have good home wifi if u stay inside. That’s only reason they got 1! GOD BLESS
Setting Up Your Equipment
Once youve got all the essential equipment, you can begin setting up your gateway. Here are the steps:
Now that youve got all the equipment set up on your end, the next step is to connect your computer and other devices to the network.
Don’t Miss: Dunkin Free Wifi
Activating Your Xfinity Internet Service
Your Xfinity Internet service isnt fully functional until you activate it. Fret not. Activation is well within your powers. And you can choose from four ways of doing it.
To us, choosing between professional and self-installation is easy. If youre super busy, you prefer to trust a pro, or your home isnt wired for Xfinity servicego with professional installation. Itll be worth paying Xfinity $89.99 to install your internet.
But what if your home is already wired for Xfinity service? What if you have the time, inclination, and the modest amount of skill that itll take to connect a few cables, watch a few lights, and activate your service?
If the paragraph above describes you, choose self-installation. Its normally $15 for standard shipping on the self-install kit, but Xfinity made it free during COVID-19so youll save up to $90.00. Buy yourself something nice.
Connect Your Devices To Your Wi
You can skip this step if you are using a modem/router combo unit. However, if youre using a separate modem and router, follow the steps outlined below.
Once you activate your modem, your next step is securing and connecting devices to the WiFi network.
Start by setting your network name and password on your router. Every router has a slightly different process for completing this step, but its typically a quick and easy process that takes less than 15 minutes.
After you set the new network name, youll need to go through each device and enter the new password.
Recommended Reading: Do Southwest Airplanes Have Wifi
Solution 6 Check Hardware Connection
Sometimes, a seemly serious problem isnt caused by complex reasons. After struggling among nearly all advanced fixes without success, you may get your issue fixed by a simple action. Here for on network connection problem, it may simply due to the unstable connection of the wire/cables.
Therefore, just check for all your internet-related cables, fasteners, F connectors, splitters, coax, etc. to confirm that there is no problem with the hardwired.
What Type Of Modem And Router Should You Get With Xfinity
Choosing a suitable modem and router to get with Xfinity is essential. An incompatible modem can face issues with activation. Or it may activate but not support your internet speed.
Yet, there are various Xfinity compatible cable modems. You get some leeway to pick the option that works best for your network.
Here are some features you can consider for your future modem. For more information, look at our best modems for Xfinity guide.
Don’t Miss: Does Blink Camera Need Wifi
Detailed Description On How To Self
- The first step is to activate the Internet connection of the device. To do so, follow the below-given steps. Unlock your smartphone and go to the Play Store. Search for the Xfinity xFi mobile app. Tap the Install button and install it on your device.
- Press the Sign in option. If you already have an account, then enter the correct credentials.
- If you do not have an Xfinity account, choose the Donât have a username? Create One option. In case you do not remember your user ID and password, tap the Forgot Username or Password option? To reset your password and then log in.
- If you have voice service, then associate the phone cable to the Telephone port available on your gateway.
- Power on the gateway and wait for 10 minutes for it to power completely. After the specified time, it will be ready for activation. The succeeding step is to find the network name and password from the label available on the bottom part of the gateway.
- Turn on your computer and connect it to that Wi-Fi network with the help of the password. You can also connect the gateway and the computer using an Ethernet cable. Turn on your computer and open a browser such as Chrome or Firefox.
- Visit xfinity.com/activate. Select the Mobile Number activation process and enter the code you receive to your phone. Wait until your home network is How to Self Install Xfinity Internet for XFI Gateway set up and start connecting all your personal devices.
Make Sure Your Router Is Approved For Xfinity
Before using your router with Xfinity, make sure its compatible. Just to make sure everything checks out okay and that Xfinity can support high internet speeds on your existing router, check your device on the Xfinity website.1
Some routers are too old and cant keep up with the speed of Xfinity. Once you know your device will support the speed from Xfinity, youre ready to start setting up your router with the following steps.
Haven’t picked a router yet? Check out some of our favorite routers for streaming.
Recommended Reading: Where Is The Reset Button On The Blink Sync Module
How To Connect Roku Xfinity Wifi
You can now easily connect Roku Xfinity WIFI without issues. Here are the topmost simple steps for you:
- To begin, go to the Roku Channel Store and launch the Xfinity Channel app, then select login. The channel shop may be found on any Roku devices start menu by navigating to the Streaming Channels option in the menu on the left.
- On your Roku, youll see the Authentication Code window. Instead of using your Roku, go to xfinity.com/authorize from another gadget, such as a smartphone, iPad, or computer.
- Enter the six-digit code issued by the Roku device into the browser window.
- Select Log In after entering your Xfinity login details.
- Youll get a notification that says Success! Your Roku or Roku-connected devices screen will shortly be updated.
- On your Roku device or Roku TV, the Conditions of Registration will appear. Scroll down to read the contract, then click Yes to agree and proceed. The activation procedure will restart if you choose No Thanks.
- Select Agree after giving your device a title.
- Youll see the menu screen and be able to use the app right away!
The Best Xfinity Compatible Modems And Routers
To find the best Comcast modem and the best Comcast router, we considered the maximum speeds they provide, DOCSIS technology, price, and customer reviews. The following Xfinity approved routers and modems will work with any Comcast plan:
- Overall best performance combination modem and router: Motorola MG7700 Modem WiFi Router Combo with Power Boost
- Most affordable combination modem and router: Motorola MT7711
- Most advanced combination modem and router: NETGEAR Nighthawk Cable Modem with Built-in WiFi 6 Router
- Combination modem and router provided by Xfinity: xFi Gateway
- Best router for Xfinity: Google Mesh Wi-Fi System
- Best modem for Xfinity: NETGEAR Nighthawk Multi-Gig Speed Cable Modem
- Maximum speeds: 800 Mbps
- Price: $$
If you want your modem and router in an all-in-one device for your Xfinity internet plan, this model from Motorola finds a happy medium between performance and affordability. It can handle internet speeds up to 800 Mbps plenty of speed for even bigger households making it suitable for all but the fastest Xfinity plans.
For plans with faster speeds, you can upgrade to two other versions of the Motorola MG7700 as well. And with four ethernet ports, you can connect plenty of devices like smart TVs, game consoles, and computers for a faster wired connection.
Read Also: Change Blink Camera Wifi