Visit A Few Different Websites
If a website youre visiting doesnt load, go to another website to see if that one does load. Does it load up properly? That means the original website you went to could be down for all visitors.
If no websites load properly, then the connection problem is most likely on your end or happening with your provider.
Test A Different Device
Try another device, such as a smartphone or a tablet, and see if it will connect to WiFi. If a different device connects, then the problem for your internet not working may be with the device you are using.
Also, using multiple devices at the same time may be interfering with bandwidth and speed. If multiple people are using the internet at the same time on different devices, this may be part of the problem.
Why Youtube Is Not Working On Wifi
Open the settings menu on your device, tap on Apps, and select YouTube. The next step is to choose Storage, which will bring up two options: Clear data and Clear cache. Clear the cache first and check if YouTube now works as it should. If it doesnt, go back and clear data to see if that solves the problem.
You May Like: How To Connect Canon Mx492 Printer To Wifi
Culprit #: Conflicting Ip Address
Its possible that more than one of your devices was assigned an identical IP address. This is a conflicting issue as the IP address must be unique per device. When two or more devices share an IP address, none of them will be able to connect to the internet.
This complication can occur when:
Head back to the Command Prompt and type in ipconfig /release
This will force the DHCP server to release the currently assigned IP address for your computer.
Follow this up by typing in ipconfig /renew to assign a new IP address for your computer.
If that doesnt work:
You should see this:
Restart your router and see if everything is working correctly.
Why Is My Virgin Media Wifi Not Working
WiFi connection problems can be frustrating, but were here to help keep you online. Simply test your broadband service, and if we find an issue we can help with a fix online. If needed you can book a technician, order a replacement WiFi Hub, or chat to one of our team.
If you dont want to run a test right now, weve got some handy tips for you to try below.
Also Check: How To Change My Optimum Wifi Password
How To Fix Iphone Can’t Fine Wifi Problem
The first iPhone Wi-Fi problem is that whenever the Wi-Fi option is turned on, iPhone users have found that their iPhone was not even able to detect a Wi-Fi signal to connect with, let alone facing intermittent issues such as network speed. In most of the cases, the iPhone Wi-Fi problem can be identified if:
- All other devices connected to the same network are running without a hitch while only the particular iPhone Wi-Fi not working and is unable to find the same network like the rest.
- The Wi-Fi connection suddenly drops and disappears.
- Tap Settings > Wi-Fi to check whether the specified Wi-Fi network is available or not in the available networks. Wait until the Wi-Fi network name appears.
- If the name doesnât appear, make sure that the iPhone is in the close range of the wireless router.
- If the attempt is still futile, there are two ways this can end – A) Hidden network, B) Unsupported Wi-Fi configuration.
- To resolve the issue of Wi-Fi configuration, tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings.
- A hidden network doesnât mean Wi-Fi not working on iPhone. To resolve this:- Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > turn the Wi-Fi on > Other.- Enter the exact network name and tap Security.- Select Security Type > Other Network > Password.
Troubleshooting Routers And Modems
So youve tried the obvious stuff, and its still not working. That means its time to get up out of your chair and take a look at your equipment. Ugh.
Dont worrywell get this working again in no time.
If your internet is still working but its just being slow, run a speed test to see if youre getting the speeds youre paying for. If not, you may want to contact your provider to see if theres an issue on its end.
Also, get our tips on how to improve your Wi-Fi bandwidth.
Recommended Reading: Does Spectrum Offer Wifi Extenders
Router / Access Point Problem
If no one can connect to the internet then you will have to look for the problem in the router or access point. First, try to reboot the router or access point. Make sure your turn it off for at least 30 sec. This way all caches will reset resulting in a fresh start.
Give your device a couple of minutes to start up and try it again. If that didnt solve the problem you can try to reset the device. Remember, if you reset the router or access point all configuration items can be lost. So make sure you have a backup of the configuration or have written down the most important information.
Reconnect To Your Wifi
Make sure that your router is free from clutter. If there’s anything sitting on top of or next to it, try moving it so it isn’t blocked. Also, if you have thick walls, your signal strength may be compromised. Make sure you keep your router and modem in an open space.
If restarting your modem and router doesn’t work, it’s time to move on to a new step.
Note: Make sure that you’re connecting through the right frequency. You might have access to a 5G option. Sometimes, these passwords are different from each other. Try each one separately.
Verify Network Connection With Ping
Once your Android Wi-Fi client has a valid IP address, use Ping to verify network connectivity. Most Android devices do not include a user-accessible ping app, but you can still verify network connectivity as follows.
- Start by using your device’s built-in browser app to check Internet access. If you can successfully open or reload an Internet website page, congratulations: You are connected!
- If you get the error message The Web page at X might be temporarily down, you’ll need to do more digging. Try browsing your wireless AP or router’s Web admin utility . If you can open that page, you are connected to the network, but the network itself has a connectivity problem. Refer to our wireless network troubleshooting tip for additional hints.
- If you cannot browse your AP or router’s Web admin utility or another Web-enabled device connected to your wireless LAN, you will need to troubleshoot connectivity another way. Use Google Play to download and install a free ping app such as Fing or IP Tools. Use that app to ping your AP or router’s LAN IP address as shown below. If pinging your AP or router repeatedly fails, skip to step 5.
- If pinging your AP or router succeeds, ping any other wired or wireless LAN client that you wish to communicate with. If that ping fails, AP isolation may be enabled or the destination may be using a firewall to block incoming messages. Follow the instructions given in our wireless network troubleshooting tip, step 5.
Why Does My Wifi Keep Cutting Out On Iphone
Reset Network Settings
Go to Settings on your device. Tap where it says Reset Network Settings. This should clear just about everything that is related to network settings on your iPhone and can help fix a lot of different types of software issues with the network, including iPhone/iPad keeps losing wifi.
Read Also: Dunkin Wifi
Culprit #: Network Driver Possibly Outdated
Over time your network driver can become corrupted or outdated which will cause complications with your internet connectivity. In order to avoid this problem, its best to keep all device software updated as often as possible. You can take a look at all your devices by opening up the Device Manager.
To do this:
This will have Windows attempt to find and update the driver for you automatically. If one cannot be found, youll need to head to the website of the manufacturer in order to acquire the update.You can also try using a third-party program like Driver Easy to search out all driver updates your computer currently needs.
Understanding Your Routers Icons
Most routers have a series of icons that illuminate to convey different status messages at a glance. Though these can vary from brand to brand, most manufacturers include at least three primary status indicators:
- Globe icon: solid when modem is connected to the Internet.
- WiFi icon: solid when WiFi is being broadcast with no issues. status
- Ethernet icon: solid when ethernet cables are connected and working properly.
When everything is working properly, you can expect the icons to be solid or blinking green or blue light. This signals that a device is plugged in and functioning normally.
When there is a connection issue, you can expect the icons to turn red or orange.
An orange or amber light may indicate a problem or limited connectivity, whereas a red or unlit icon may signal that there is no current connection.
Important point: in order to be clear on what your specific device is communicating to you, be sure to refer to the user manual for a more detailed explanation.
Pro tip: You can usually find a digital copy of your routers manual by typing your device model number followed by user manual into Google.
Read Also: Dunkin Donuts Free Wifi Locations
Run The Internet Troubleshooter
If youre on Windows, then run the built-in troubleshooter program to see if your machine can run a diagnostic and fix the issue for you. For Windows 10, click to Start > Settings > Update & Security > Troubleshoot and then select the troubleshooter for Internet Connections.
If youre still having trouble or youre on an older version of Windows, you can find other helpful tips on Microsofts page for fixing Wi-Fi connection issues.
Culprit #: Wireless Mode Outdated
Your routers wireless mode has a standard that indicates internet speeds and coverage. The standards are defined by the IEEE and are typically displayed on the router as 802.11g, 802.11n, 802.11b, and 802.11ac, etc. This is to ensure uniformity across all router models.
The oldest out of those mentioned is the 802.11b which coincidentally also makes it the slowest. The 802.11ac is on the opposite side of the speed spectrum and is also the latest model.
Why do I need to know this information?
Well, lets say your laptop is a bit older and can only connect to a standard of 802.11g but your router is based on the latest version, 802.11ac. This then creates a conflict between your laptop and the router meaning that your laptop will be unable to connect.
In order to fix this problem, youll want to open up your command prompt and identify your router details. This time with the Command Prompt open, type in ipconfig. The information received should look something like this:
The IP address of your router is located to the right of Default Gateway.
This information can also be found using the GUI. Youll need to get to the Network and Sharing Center. In order to this, you can:
You May Like: Which Southwest Flights Have Wifi
Update The Network Driver Adapter
If all the above methods seemed ineffective, then there might be a problem with your network driver adapter. If so, then it will be flagged in the Device Manager with a yellow exclamation mark.
So, the best way to address this issue is by updating the network driver adapter automatically. We recommend the automatic way of updating the network driver adapters because the process is conducted over by a tool, hence it is capable of updating the system drivers with the correct and genuine drivers and saves you from manual errors of installing the wrong programs.
If you are having no clue regarding a good driver updater software, then we suggest using the Bit Driver Updater tool by Bit Guardian GmbH. This tool is the ultimate driver update software when it comes to updating the system drivers of your Windows PC. This tool is enabled with the following features:
- It can completely analyze your system to detect faulty drivers.
- It can backup all your existing drivers and help restore them later.
- It can immensely boost your system performance.
- Offers a one click update feature.
Here is a quick guide to install the correct device drivers with this tool:
Why Isnt My Modem Connecting To The Internet
If your modem isnt connecting to the internet, then either the internet service providers network is down or your modem is not communicating properly with the network. Make sure to reboot your modem to see if it starts working again, and then call your ISPs tech support line to see if the network is up and the modem is configured properly.
How Do I Reset My Modem And Router
Step 1: Unplug the modem and router from the power outlet. Step 2: Wait at least 15 seconds. Step 3: Plug the modem back into the power outlet first, wait 1-2 minutes, then its time to power on the router. Step 4: Wait for all panel lights on your cable modem to become green on before testing your internet connection.